Blind Dog Radio

Mississippi Jail House Groan by Rube Lacy

Mississippi Jail House Groan - Rube Lacy; E position, standard tuning.

Ooooo oooo whoooo
Mmm mmmm hmmm hmmm
I promise not to holler now now, mama, hi hi

Oooo oooo, Layin' in jail, now, my back turned to the wall
And I laid in jail, my back turned, unnh, to the wall
I laid in jail now my back turned to the wall

And she brought me coffee, and she brought me tea
Yes, she brought me coffee, Lord, and she brought me tea
She brought me evahthing, now, but that low-down jail house key

Mmm mmm mmm hmm
Mmm mmm hmmm mmm
I promise not to holler now now mama, now, hi hi

And my Mama told me, my Papa told me, too
And my Mama told me my Papa stood and cried
"You got too many women, now now, for any boy your size."

I looked at my Mama and I hung my head and cried
I looked at my Mama and I hung my head and cried
"If my woman quits me now, Lord, I'm 'fraid I'll die."